As humans, we are social beings, and relationships are an essential aspect of our lives. Whether it's our relationship with God, family, friends, or romantic partners, it's important to have a solid foundation based on biblical principles.
Let’s look at just 5 out of MANY verses found in scripture that can help to guide you in your relationships:
1. 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 - "LOVE is patient, LOVE is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. LOVE does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres."
This famous passage on love, often quoted at weddings, serves as a guide to how we should treat others in every kind of relationship. It reminds us that true love is selfless and doesn't seek its own gain. Instead it is patient, kind, humble, forgiving, and trusting, even when other people are not.
2. Proverbs 17:17 - "A friend LOVES at all times, and a brother is born for a time of adversity."
This verse emphasizes the importance of true friendship, where love is not dependent on circumstances. It reminds us that a true friend is there for us in both good and bad times.
3. Ephesians 4:2-3 - "Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in LOVE. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace."
Unity and peace are essential, and we should strive to maintain them in our interactions with others. By seeking to understand and support one another in love, we can foster healthy relationships that endure through challenges and difficulties.
4. 1 Peter 4:8 - "Above all, love each other deeply, because LOVE covers over a multitude of sins."
No one is perfect, and we all make mistakes in our relationships. True love is able to forgive and overlook those mistakes, rather than holding grudges or dwelling on past offenses.
5. Ephesians 4:29 - "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."
Communication is key in any relationship, and this verse reminds us to use our words wisely. We should aim to speak in a way that builds others up, rather than tearing them down.
Relationships are not always easy and not everyone has good advice on how to navigate the complexities of them but notice that most of these verses are centered around LOVE. God is the originator of LOVE so, who better to seek advice from than the OG? These verses, along with so many more, serve as a guide to building healthy relationships but it is our responsibility to apply them so that our relationships can be deeper, more meaningful and fulfilling. Ask God to give you wisdom and strength to exemplify LOVE in all of your relationships. Trust me when I say, He’ll never come up short of advice.